Two Teachers Suspected Killed by Maoists in Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur; Search Operation Underway

Two Teachers Suspected Killed by Maoists in Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur; Search Operation Underway
By Ritesh Mishra

 Published: July 15, 2025

Bijapur, Chhattisgarh — In a disturbing incident that underscores the fragile security situation in Chhattisgarh’s Maoist-affected regions, two government school teachers are feared to have been killed by Maoists in the dense forests of Bijapur district. Police officials confirmed the development late Tuesday evening but said the bodies of the victims have not yet been recovered.

According to local sources, the two teachers were reported missing earlier this week. Initial inputs from intelligence teams and local villagers suggest they were allegedly abducted by Maoist insurgents, possibly on suspicion of being police informants or government collaborators. Senior police officials said a massive search operation has been launched in the forested interiors of the district to trace the victims and apprehend those responsible.

A Grim Pattern of Targeting Educators

This is not the first time that educators have become targets in Naxal-affected regions. In past years, teachers, health workers, and road construction personnel have been routinely targeted by Maoists in Bastar, Dantewada, and Bijapur districts—areas considered part of the core Red Corridor. These incidents are often aimed at disrupting education, governance, and developmental activity in regions where Maoists seek to maintain control.

“Preliminary information indicates they were killed,” a senior police officer told Hindustan Times on the condition of anonymity. “We are not disclosing their identities until their families have been notified. However, we are working around the clock to locate them and ensure justice is served.”

Search and Security Measures Intensify

Security forces, including units of the District Reserve Guard (DRG), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), and local police, are combing through the forest areas. Officials are also using drone surveillance and sniffer dogs to aid in tracking movements in the dense jungle terrain, where Maoists often operate with guerrilla tactics.

Bijapur Superintendent of Police Anjneya Varshney confirmed that high alert has been issued in neighboring villages. “We are actively pursuing all leads. As of now, there is no official confirmation of the deaths, but we have strong indications,” he said.

An Ongoing Threat to Civil Society

The suspected killing of the two teachers has sparked outrage among local communities and education officials, who say that field workers continue to face grave risks in Maoist-affected districts, despite ongoing counter-insurgency efforts. Human rights activists have also raised concerns about the safety of civilians working in conflict zones.

Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai has been briefed about the situation and is expected to make a statement following the completion of the search operation.

A Nation Watches and Waits

As search efforts continue deep in the forests of Chhattisgarh, families of the missing teachers and the nation at large wait in anguish. This incident once again throws light on the ongoing threat posed by Maoist insurgency and the urgent need for stronger grassroots-level security and civil engagement.

More From Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *